Concert PREP 2: “Moon River” composed by Henry Mancini (arr. Billy Byers) performed by The Jazz Ambassadors. https://youtu.be/Tx1nUTwngvg
-Make sure to answer these questions in the paper
1. What is the name of the ensemble in this performance? Is there a leader or conductor, and if yes, what is his or her name? If there are soloists, name them if the information is available.
2. What is the name of the piece they are performing? Who is the composer?
3. On the sensuous plane of listening, can you describe what you experienced?
4. On the expressive plan of listening, can you take figure out why this music was composed? What is its meaning? If you are not sure, what do you think it might be?
5. On the musical plane, can you describe the ensemble of instruments you see? Which instruments can you name specifically?
6. Also on the musical plane, can you talk about some musical elements such as tempo, rhythm, melody, harmony, texture, dynamics? What stands out in this piece of music?
7. What do you notice in terms of the performance as whole? Anything particular about the performers? How do they interact with each other? What makes their performance special? Do you think they work well together? How so?
8. What is your opinion on this piece? Do you like it? Why? Do you not like it and if not, why?
Make sure to think careful how you phrase your answers. You will also be graded on your writing style and the use of correct terminology. You may consult the accompanying grading rubric to better understand the expectations of this assignment.
***Your text should be at least 200 words long. No points will be deducted for a lengthier paper unless the text is repetitive or irrelevant.