Prior to your field experience, review the requirements of all clinical field experiences for this course. Create a document to share with your mentor teacher detailing the requirements for all field experiences for this course, and what is being requested of your mentor. This document should include the scheduling required to complete all assignments.
Building literacy skills in cross-disciplinary instruction is an essential component of student learning. Teachers must integrate literacy with purpose in all content areas in order for students to make necessary connections. It is especially key to collaborate with veteran teachers when planning integration of another content area, such as literacy into the classroom.
Allocate at least 5 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Part 1: Observation
Observe your mentor teacher (Ms. Dawn at Children of America) in your chosen content area (Pre-School/Pre-K Ages 4-5). During your observation of the lesson, take note of how literacy is integrated into the content area and what literacy strategies are implemented to engage students in diverse perspectives and various kinds of learning.
With permission from your mentor teacher, seek opportunities to observe another classroom.
Part 2: Interview
After your observation, interview your mentor teacher on the strategies used to integrate literacy into their content area.
Below is a list of questions to ask your mentor teacher (make up answers) Pre-K, Students cannot read, Students can identify objects, numbers, letters, and spell most three letter words such as “Cat” “Dog”:
1. How do you integrate literacy into your content area?
2. Do you collaborate with other departments when integrating literacy standards?
3. What challenges do you face when integrating literacy into your content area?
4. What literacy strategies do you implement in order to engage students in diverse perspectives and various kinds of learning?
5. What digital tools, technology, and/or resources do you use in order to advance student literacy?
6. Did the students master the learning objective for the day? If so, how do you know, if not what will your next steps be?
7. How do you handle the situation when parents disapprove of a text selection?
Use any remaining field experience hours to assist the teacher in providing instruction and support to the class.
In 250-500 words, summarize your observations and interview with your mentor teacher, and reflect on how you would use this information in your future professional practice.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
Document the locations and hours you spend in the field on your Clinical Field Experience Verification Form.
Submit the Clinical Field Experience Verification Form to the LMS in the last topic. Directions for submitting can be found on the College of Education site in the Student Success Center.