In this project, you will demonstrate your mastery of the following competencies:
- Describe how managerial accounting supports management information systems
- Utilize managerial accounting techniques and models to support an organization’s strategic plan
- Explain how managerial accounting is used to make decisions about short-term business opportunities, capital investments, and evaluating operational performance
Your business has been open for a month, and you have prepared an income statement and completed a variance analysis on the data. Now you will meet with investors and a few other internal stakeholders to share your company’s progress over the past month and how it has performed with respect to your cost and budget projections. The investors would like to see the thought process behind your financial strategy and how your company has performed in its first month. They have therefore asked you to present a report that includes the costing and income data from your Project Workbook.
Submit a detailed report to your potential investors and other stakeholders to explain and defend your costing strategies and to share your business’s performance to date. Your report can be in the form of a PowerPoint presentation or a Word document (based on the templates provided in the What to Submit section). In either format, be sure to effectively communicate with your stakeholders by breaking down concepts and using investor-friendly language to build their trust and confidence. If you choose to do a PowerPoint presentation, you’ll need to include speaker notes for each slide.
- Introduction: Provide a short overview of your company and the purpose of this report.
- Business Overview: Name your company and describe its business and your vision for its future.
- Purpose of the Report: Explain the purpose of the report and describe why the information is important.
- Methods and Approach: Explain the management accounting methods you used for generating the information that you are about to share in terms of your adherence to industry standards and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) code of ethics.
- Financial Strategy: Review your original business plan and costing strategies.
- Costing System: Justify the use of job order costing for this business. Be sure to compare and contrast the various costing systems you learned about in this course as part of your defense.
- Selling Prices: Share and explain the selling prices you established for each of your products. Be sure to reference your cost-volume-profit analysis in your defense.
- Contribution Margin: Share and explain your contribution margin per unit. Be sure to reference your cost-volume-profit analysis in your defense.
- Target Profits: Identify your break-even points for achieving different target profits. Then explain the target profits you selected for each area of your business. Be sure to reference your cost-volume-profit analysis in your defense.
- Financial Statements: Using the information in the Milestone Two Market Research Data Appendix, assess your financial performance to date.
- Statement of Cost of Goods Sold: Share the statement of cost of goods sold and logically interpret the business’s performance against the provided benchmarks.
- Income Statement: Share the income statement and logically interpret the business’s performance against the provided benchmarks.
- Variances: Illustrate all variances for the direct labor time and the materials price.
- Significance of Variances: Evaluate the significance of the variances in terms of the potential to impact future budgeting decisions and planning.
What to Submit
To complete this project, you must submit the following:
Investor Report PowerPoint Template
Use this template to submit a PowerPoint presentation with speaker notes. Sources should be cited according to APA style.
Investor Report Word Template
Use this template to submit an 8- to 10-page Word document. Sources should be cited according to APA style.
The following resource(s) may help support your work on the project:
Tutorials: PowerPoint Office 365
This set of tutorials from Infobase provides helpful information on the basic features of Microsoft PowerPoint. Use the table of contents to select the tutorials that best suit your needs.
THIS IS WHAT’S GOT TO BE DONE FOR THIS FINALE PROJECT!!!
Can you believe there are only two weeks left of class already?! Has it gone fast, or did you think it would never end??
This week you only have ONE job…your final project. PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING YOUR PROJECT!
First of all, you will be writing your final paper or presentation on the pet supply business we have been working on all term. That is why you did all of the work in Milestones 1 – 3 to determine costs, pricing, break-even units, financial statements and variances so you can provide a solid analysis in your final project. The assignment includes your choice of one of two documents to provide analysis on the data you completed in Milestones 1 – 3. You will create a PowerPoint Presentation of 12 to 15 slides with speaker notes or write an 8 to 10 page paper that explains and defends your costing strategies (i.e., the business plan created in your first and second milestones) and share your business’s performance to-date (i.e., the work from your third milestone). Be sure to effectively communicate to your stakeholders by breaking down concepts and using investor-friendly language to build their trust and confidence. This is directed at investors, potential investors, creditors and other interested parties, so address this audience in the paper or presentation. If using a presentation, provide speaker notes on each slide to provide what you would say in a presentation.
In addition to sharing information from your project workbook, there will be requirements for slides or paper sections that cover other topics from the class. So, in order to receive a good grade on all rubric requirements you will need to cover all of the following in your paper/presentation:
- Introduction of your business, describing purpose and vision
- Explains the purpose of the presentation and describes why the accounting information is important
- Explains management accounting methods for generating information, and explains them in terms of adherence to industry standards and the AICPA code of ethics.
- Justifies the use of job order costing for this business; compares and contrasts the various costing systems as part of the defense
- How did you determine your sales prices for each service using the Cost-Value-Profit Analysis.
- Discuss your contribution margin per unit. How well will this margin cover costs and generate profit?
- Identifies break-even points for achieving target profits; explains selected target profits for each area of the business; references the cost-volume-profit analysis.
- Identify break-even points for achieving target profits; explains selected target profits for each area of the business; references the cost-volume-profit analysis.
- Provide and discuss the results of the COS and Income Statements. Provide high level discussion on what these statements show about the success of your business so far. What can be improved?
- Discuss the Variances and Significances of Variances? What caused the variances and what can be done to identify and correct the causes.
- Provide a good conclusion and wrap up of the paper/presentation. Remember you are addressing potential investors and other interested parties.
Please review the Final Project Guidelines and Rubric for more details on this assignment and to understand the requirements, and feel free to contact me with questions as you work on this. There are templates provided for both the paper and presentation to get you started. Feel free to make the presentation your own by using your own slide formatting, graphics, charts and tables, etc. Also attached are articles on improving presentations and inserting Excel workbooks into a presentation/paper.
You will want to make sure your workbooks are correct so the analysis you are providing are correct in the final paper/presentation. Please reach out if you would like to verify any of the data from your milestone workbooks.
Thanks for your hard work and good luck on this assignment! Let me know if you have any questions as you are working on this final project.
10 Tips to Improve your Presentation Slides – Strategic Finance (bit.ly)
Insert Excel data in PowerPoint – PowerPoint (microsoft.com)
Final Project Suggestions for Improved Grade.docx (16.41 KB)
I PAID 55 FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT, I JUST NEED THE MILESTONES TO BE CORECTED AND ADD THE DATA IN FORMULAS IN….