Your first statistical software assignment includes two sections in which you will do the following:
- Create two histograms.
- Calculate measures of central tendency and dispersion.
This will give you some experience with the data set.
Key Details and Instructions
- Submit your assignment as a Word document.
- Refer to the JASP Step-by-Step: Histograms and Descriptive Statistics [PDF] document for additional help in completing this assignment.
- View JASP Speedrun: Descriptive Statistics [Video] for a brief tutorial video on this assignment.
- View Deeper Dive Descriptive Statistics [Video] for a longer video on how to interpret the statistical software output.
As you work on this assignment, refer to the 7864 Data Set Instructions [PDF] document for information on variables used in this course.
Download the 7864 data set, grades.jasp, which is a sample data set, and save it to your computer. This data file is used in all four papers (Week 2, Week 4, Week 6, & Week 8).
Create two histograms for visual interpretation using the following variables:
|Lowup||Lower division =1; Upper division =2|
|Final||Final exam: number of correct answers|
Create two histograms and paste them into your Word document:
- A histogram for lower division students.
- A histogram for upper division students.
Briefly describe what a visual inspection of this output tells you about the shape of the distributions.
Create a descriptives table to assess measures of central tendency and dispersion using the following variables:
|GPA||Previous grade point average|
|Quiz3||Quiz 3: number of correct answers|
Create a descriptives table and paste it into your Word document.
Under the table:
- Report the mean, standard deviation, skewness, and kurtosis for GPA and quiz3.
- Briefly describe what skewness and kurtosis tell you about these data with regard to normality.
Submit both sections of your assignment as an attached Word document.