A friend tells you that she avoids foods containing GMOs because
they are unhealthy. You decide to use the knowledge gained from your biology class and some additional
research to form your own opinion on GMOs. Answer the following questions backed up by reliable information
sources. What is the purpose of the genetic engineering of crop plants? Include at least two specific examples
of commonly grown GMO crops. How are GMOs created? Use the provided course materials and make a
connection to the central dogma of molecular biology in your explanation. Which foods in your supermarket
contain GMOs? Are foods that contain GMOs safe for human consumption? What types of regulations exist for
these foods? Clearly explain your reasoning for each answer in your paper and conclude whether or not you
agree with your friend.
Find at least three reliable information sources related to your chosen topic. You are encouraged to use the
UMUC library in your search: https://libguides.umgc.edu/science.
3. Write a paper with a title page, introduction, several paragraphs addressing the questions, conclusion, and
references. You must write in your own words and paraphrase information from the selected information
sources, addressing each of the questions for your chosen topic. Your paper should consist of less than 10%
direct quotes. Your paper should be 750-1500 words, excluding references and title page. Use APA style for
• recognize and explain how the scientific method is used to solve problems
• make observations and discriminate between scientific and pseudoscientific explanations
• weigh the evidence and make decisions based on strengths and limitations of scientific knowledge and the
• use knowledge of biological principles, the scientific method, and appropriate technologies to ask relevant
questions, develop hypotheses, design and conduct experiments, interpret results, and draw conclusions
The post Genetically modified organisms (GMOs). first appeared on COMPLIANT PAPERS.