Apply workersâ€™ compensation management regulations and concepts to the following workplace scenario:
You are a newly hired environmental safety and health professional for a midsized manufacturer of widgets. You currently have three manufacturing facilities in three separate, but geographically close states. Because of unprecedented growth in the widgets market, your company decides to build another factory. One out of the hundreds of indicators the executive staff is looking for is which one of their current states they operate is most employer friendly. In other words, which state treats employers and employees the same when it comes to regulatory requirements?
Complete a research paper that compares and contrasts the differences between the state in which you live and two other adjacent states. In your paper, you should
- discuss the differences and similarities between workersâ€™ rights in the three different states (e.g., definition of employee, wages paid, weeks of temporary disability, etc.),
- identify and explain the commonalities in the fundamental laws of the workersâ€™ compensation system in the three states,
- interpret the resources that are available for employers in each state (e.g., monthly courses taught, written guidance, employer rights, etc.),
- discuss the types of coverage available to employees in each state, and
- argue which state is more employer friendly from an employerâ€™s perspective when it comes to administering a workersâ€™ compensation program.
Be sure to use the tools provided by the U.S. Department of Labor, Division of Federal Employeesâ€™ Compensation (DFEC) State Workersâ€™ Compensation Officials web page. This page provides a link to the workersâ€™ compensation board for each of the 50 states as well as the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and Puerto Rico. In addition to this resource, you should use a minimum of two other sources. All information from these sources must be cited in APA style.
This research paper must be a minimum of three pages in length. Adhere to APA Style when constructing this assignment, including in-text citations and references for all sources that are used. Please note that no abstract is needed. The title and reference page are not included in the page count.