By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Apply psychological theories to explain and improve sport performance.
- Competency 3: Address the unique needs of diverse participants and groups in sport to customize working models that fit specific populations.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for members of the psychological professions.
Chapter 6, “Regulating Stress, Anxiety, and Arousal,â€ in Sport Psychology, explores strategies for managing stress, anxiety, and arousal. Additionally, the theoretical background of these strategies is shared in this content. These theories provide an evidence-based rationale for how stress, anxiety, and arousal management strategies work during performance. In addition to having this knowledge, being able to apply it to a diverse group of athletes is vital to successful practice as a sport psychologist, coach, or athlete.
Prior to beginning this assignment, choose one perspective to apply your theoretical knowledge fromâ€”sport psychologist, coach, or athlete. Next, choose of one these three competitive scenarios to apply theory to manage stress, anxiety, and/or arousal.
- Amy is a freshman softball player for UCLA. Before her first at bat, she is having flashbacks to striking out in high school. Her heart is racing and breathing rapid. She strikes out on three pitches and dejectedly walks back to the dugout.
- Michael is an amateur golf professional. Heâ€™s an excellent putter and great with his approach to the greens. However, he struggles off the tee. He constantly worries about slicing the ball. Heâ€™s so apprehensive about poorly driving the ball that he experiences a sense of dread when he thinks about stepping up to the tee.
- Douglass, a wide receiver on his high football team, recently disclosed to his teammates that heâ€™s gay. Since sharing this, some of his teammates have avoided him. This includes the team quarterback who has stopped throwing him the ball. Douglass is starting to feel stressed both on and off the field as a result of his perceived alienation by teammates.
- Analyze the theories that support your approach to managing your chosen competitive scenario. Your analysis could be based on one or many theories from sport psychology.
- Begin with a description of relevant details about the scenario (gender, level, et cetera). After applying the theory to the scenario, analyze how it could enhance performance for the athlete.
- Apply the same scenario to a new, diverse athlete. Be sure to distinguish this athlete from your initial one. Compare and contrast the use and effectiveness of the theory to both athletes.
Throughout your paper, be sure you are supporting your analysis and evaluations with peer-reviewed literature.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA (6th Edition) style and formatting.
- Length: 4â€“6 double-spaced, typed pages, in addition to a title page.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.